Wednesday, October 31, 2018

My Personal Experience - Visiting Monastic Dwelling ārāma Karuṇā Sevena


I walked into the monastic dwelling ārāma Karuṇā Sevena, located in the Czech Republic, for the first time in my life a few months ago. I was injured, chronically tired, sleep-deprived and overwhelmed with obligations and aspirations. I am a mom, a wife and an entrepreneur. I had been involved in many projects I enjoyed, but was overwhelmed with choice and stretched thin on time. Projects involving voluntary work were hitting walls. I was disappointed, burnt-out and confused. In other words, I’d say I was an average ambitious person my age and situation who was trying to help others in an average developed country.

A few days later I left the ārāma.

First thing I wanted to do was go back to the Temple. It was a place of acceptance. Where I could be what I am. Where there seemed to be no expectations. Where I could give freely and receive freely. Where I felt genuine care for myself and genuinely cared for others. Where I wasn’t afraid of any hidden agendas. Where others happily accepted my little contributions.

I would wake up as if in my mom’s arms, happy and safe. My children were welcomed there, and their noises were welcomed too. There was no need to worry.

When I walked out, I noticed how much my outlook has changed. I was ok with the chaos of choices at my disposal. I was ok with my obligations. I was ok with my aspirations. I wasn’t afraid of people’s agendas. I got some sleep. I took care of my injury. I rested. I became more present.

I was more lovingly kind with my kids. I was more lovingly kind with my husband. I was just there for them. And they noticed too. It was subtle, yet profoundly changed my world.

I am grateful to Bhikkhunī Visuddhi, who despite sickness, was still available for visits. I am grateful for her listening, for her advice and for her warm presence.

I know I’m just one of many for whom her listening and advice has such an influence. I’ve witnessed others, such as a lady who left her job to help support immigrants stuck in Greece. On verge of a burn out, in just one meeting with Bhikkhunī , she seemed to have gotten calmer, more energized and inspired. As if she herself found a new direction. All it needed was Bhikkhunī Visuddhi’s presence, patience and occasional advice.

Bhikkhunī Visuddhi lives in ārāma Karuṇā Sevena that needs repairs so others can continue to receive the benefits of her free and patient giving of herself. If you are interested in supporting Bhikkhunī Visuddhi, please follow this website.


M.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment