Karuṇā Sevena is name of the monastic residence - ārāma - where Venerable bhikkhunī Visuddhi lives. This name was given to this ārāma by her Venerable teacher Bhante Pemasiri, who is considered to be one of the most respectable modern meditation teachers in Sri Lanka. Over the last ten years Venerable Visuddhi has been his student and during the past six years serving as his assistant at his Meditation Centre in Kanduboda in Sri Lanka. There she has been helping him to teach meditation to his students. Venerable Bhikkhunī Visuddhi is devoted to practice mainly meditation, in particular the mettā and satipaṭṭhāna meditation. Her approach to students is very individual. Venerable Visuddhi has spent many years in Sri Lanka and she returns to visit and practice regularly. However nowadays she spends most of the year in the Czech Republic in her ārāma in Prostějov.
|Ven. Bhante Pemasiri |
& Bhikkhunī Visuddhi
The name Karuṇā Sevena means a shadow or the reflection of compassion and it is the compassion towards other beings and support to others she extends which has become the integral part of the practice of Venerable Visuddhi. She focuses on these virtues to guide others. Bhikkhunī Visuddhi was born in the Czech Republic. She practiced as a Buddhist for many years until she left for Sri Lanka in order to ordain as a nun.
Venerable bhikkhunī Visuddhi is a fully ordained bhikkhunī which is very rare in Europe as only three or four bhikkhunīs of the same type of ordination live there. Venerable bhikkhunī Visuddhi lives according to the tradition relying only on offerings (dāna) from her lay followers and she provides her teaching in the form of a gift (dhammadāna). Generosity is one of the basic practices of the Buddha's teaching.
The third and not least important meaning of the words Karuṇā Sevena is the name of the group, which was formed around Venerable bhikkhunī Visuddhi. People who are members of this group have been practising and studying the Buddha’s teaching, and have kindly also been supporting the nun’s way of life of Venerable Visuddhi.
Please note: During the year 2015/2016 we have an extensive reconstruction of the meditation hall underway so there will be limited activities in the āvāsa. However in the future there will be many more opportunities for practising both for local and international meditators.
Details for support Venerable bhikkhunī Visuddhi and projects and activities of the Association Karuṇā Sevena
-to cover her basic needs as robes, food, medicine and dwelling (it is necessary to cover also transport, accommodation, insurance, electricity, heating, water etc.).
- for offerings towards book distribution, building of the meditation hall, furnishings and equipment of the ārāma (monastic) residence KS etc. It is possible to deduct this financial gift from the income for taxation. It is important to clearly state the purpose of the gift.
Details for support of the charitable project of Suriya Lamai
- the intention of the Suriya Lamai project "Children of the Sun" is to enable children from poor families to grow and educate themselves and to provide them with their basic necessities and cover their basic living needs. It is possible to deduct this financial gift from the income for taxation.
Bank account number and more information about the possibility of donations to Venerable Bhikkhunī Visuddhi and Association Karuṇā Sevena can be found on Contact page.
Click here to watch: Karuna Sevena
Past Activities at Karunā Sevena:
Information about the activities of bhikkhunī Visuddhi:
1. Systematic study of the Dhamma: Various seminars will focus on a detailed analysis of discourses of the Buddha (sutta) translated from the Pali canon. For those who are interested in attending, it is advised to participate from the beginning of the cycle because each individual meeting partially builds on the previous one.
2. Working with Sutta (discourses of the Buddha): Last year, we organized two weekend courses focused on working with the original speeches of the Buddha (sutta). The long weekend training is designed mainly for those who want to know the Buddha´s discourses and learn to understand them: how to read, to discuss them, how to find highlighted important passages, how to reflect on those parts that feel familiar to us, how to share and to learn about other people´s impressions. Those who have already participated in the past are welcome to attend as well.
3. Sunday Dhamma school for children: Bhikkhunī Visuddhi initiated a Dhamma school for children, so that even the little ones now have the opportunity to learn about the Buddha, his teachings and his life. Through telling them stories, reading tales from the Buddha's life, teaching them meditation and also fundamental ethical principles, children learn how to live a happy life.
The dates can be found on the website http://www.karuna-sevena.cz/
and on this address you will learn about all the other activities.
4. Visits to Powerful karmic sites and pilgrimages to holy places: Last year we organized trips to several important places, which serve as a reminder of tragic historical events: Lidice, Auschwitz concentration camp, Terezin or the Javoricske caves. The goal of these short visits is to learn how to deal with death, unpleasant experiences, fears and anxiety under the guidance of venerable Bhikkhunī Visuddhi. We also recite and do blessings for the dead. Conversely, the trips to holy places such as St. Hill in Olomouc, or Saint John under the Cliff, are about manifestation of shared joy and cultivation of noble friendship. For the purpose of understanding monastic life and practicing with noble friends (kalyānamitta), short visits to Buddhist monasteries (in Central Europe) are conducted.
5. Meditation Weekends: Meditation weekends serve as a small break from the daily rush of life and are dedicated to meditation and contemplation of the Buddha's teachings. The first course was held in Prostejov monastic Arama last year (2010). The participants also learned how to recite and follow a strict monastic regime. Check our website for regular updates of upcoming events. http://www.karuna-sevena.cz/